Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Ugliest Loaves You've Ever Seen

I haven't finished reading the Jamie Oliver cookbook I received for Valentine's Day yet, but one good thing that came out of it so far is that I've gotten interested in baking bread again. I'm especially hung up on the Coconut Buns in the very first recipe, but I have to get my head around the way that he made them.

Yesterday, I was inspired to make some loaves suitable for panini, the Italian sandwiches that are more like American subs. Unfortunately, I had very little time to shape them as my 2.5yo tot was konked out on his father's shoulder and waiting for me to takeover, so they're ugly as... *insert appropriate word*.


They looked and felt really light and holey when I slit them for today's bentos for my children though, so I think they'll pass. Because the loaves turned out much bigger than expected (hahaha), I sliced one loaf in half before splitting and filling. So each kid brought half to school.

Recipe for Panini loaves
Ingredients:
4 cups bread flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano OR 1 tsp dried oregano
Pinch ground black pepper
2 tsp instant yeast
1-1/2 tbsp olive oil
1-1/4 cups warm water (40deg C)

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a large spoon till all ingredients are moistened. Dough will be sticky.
With well-floured hands, knead dough in the bowl about 5min, till dough is elastic but still rather sticky, and sides of bowl are clear of flour, flouring your hands when necessary. Resist the urge to add more flour to the dough.
Drizzle about 2 tbsp olive oil around the sides of the bowl and toss dough to coat. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and stick bowl in the fridge for 4-5 hours.

Turn dough out onto work surface and punch out all the air. Divide into 4 equal pieces, roll each piece into a round tight ball. Let rest 5 min.
Roll out and shape each piece into a rectangle about 12cmX5cmX1cm thick.  (I did this by hand)
Place loaves on silicone mat or parchment paper on a large baking tray, about 2 inches apart. Let rise uncovered in a warm place for about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 220C. Dust loaves with flour and bake in the middle of the oven at 200C for 15min, rotating pan halfway through, till loaves are brown on top and bottom.
Remove and cool on cake rack at least 30min before slitting and filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment