Thursday, January 10, 2013

About the new fridge (and starting it up)

And here is the new, bigger refrigerator! It came yesterday, much earlier than expected, and I am now all smiles.

My new SHARP SJPC54 in a gorgeous, classy black

I learnt something new yesterday. My neighbour told me she'd been instructed by her fridge delivery guy not to open the fridge doors for at least 3-4 hours after he had plugged in and switched on her new fridge. This completely boggled me so I turned to my good friend Mr Google. 

"The short answer is to check with the manufacturer. That way you can be sure to stay within warranty guidelines.
The longer answer is that it varies from model to model. When a refrigerator is placed in a non-standard position (for example on its side), compressor oil can run out of the compressor and up refrigerant lines. So if you don't stand it upright and wait, the compressor will pump without sufficient oil -- not good.
-M"

Apparently, most standard refrigerators (like mine) are always transported upright, so the risk of this happening is lower. However, sloshing may occur during transportation, plus they do tilt the box when loading or unloading it from the lorry, so my delivery man told me to wait at least an hour before switching it on. No problem, as long as I can clean it first.

I guess my neighbour's delivery guy didn't know what he was talking about. She's rather pissed (many years too late).

No comments:

Post a Comment